Friday 27 March 2009

Computer usage

I've recently been reading a book for book club called 'What Happens When Women Say Yes to God' by Lysa TerKeurst.
In reading it today, I've really been challenged to dramatically cut my computer usage.
In chapter 3, Lysa writes about how God told her to stop watching TV.
Here's her reasons as to why God told her to stop watching TV: "I wasn't a TV junkie, ... but as I prayed, I felt God telling me why the TV had to go. I enjoyed sitting down after a tiresome day and being entertained. God showed me that I was vulnerable and empty during those times. It wasn't that what I was watching was bad -- it just wasn't God's best. I was filling myself with the world's perspectives and influences, while He wanted to be my strength and fill me with Himself. I knew it would be hard to break this habit, but I was determined to ask God for the strength to do so. I prayed that my desire to please Him would be stronger than my desire for television."*

I've been feeling that through this book, God is asking me to dramatically cut my computer usage. I go on the computer several times a day. I go on before work, after work, late in the afternoon, before bed, and quite often at other times of the day as well.
I was talking to a friend the other day, and saying that I wanted to dig into the Word of God, and really grow through that.
I feel that always being on the computer is filling me up with things that God doesn't want me filled up with, and that I'm putting the computer before Him. I feel like I HAVE to go on the computer because 'something might have happened!'.
I don't want to HAVE to go on the computer every day because I feel like I can't function without it. So, for the next week I'm not going to go on the computer at all except to check my email address that I use for book reviewing, and (of course) to work and study.
I plan to use the leisure time that I would usually spend on the computer, for spending time digging into God's Word and doing my jobs at home.
In a week I'll evaluate how it's gone, and plan what to do from then on. Please keep me accountable to this, and I'll try and post about what I've learnt in the time that I spend with God.


*'What Happens When Women Say Yes to God' by Lysa TerKeurst. Chapter 3, pg. 44.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i am really proud of you. that is a huge thing to do!! you go, girl! xox

Melinda said...

I'm proud of you too! Does that mean that if I see you on facebook I can tell you to turn it off? :)I don't think I will have to, you should be fine. Good luck!

Elyse said...

Wow. That's huge, Jewelz!! Sounds like a good challenge.. :)

Rachel said...

Good luck Jewelz.
Love you!

Felicity said...

I know that's such a huge thing for you, God will not disappoint you for what you are giving up, I pray that this time away from distractions will truly draw you closer to our amazing God! I am praying Ephesians 3:14-20 for you!