Monday 14 September 2009

Food is yummy!

I made tea on Friday night, and it turned out really well. So, I decided to share it with you.

I got the recipe out of a cookbook that I got for review, and made a few changes which I'll mark with an asterisk (*) and explain at the bottom.

Crock-Pot of Spanish Rice
2 lbs of lean ground beef * (about 1 kg)
1 cup of chopped onion **
2 green bell peppers, chopped (capsicum)
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (800-828grams)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato soup (230grams)
2 1/2 tsp. of chili powder ***
1 1/2 tsp. of salt
2 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup of rice uncooked ****
1 cup of water

Brown beef in skillet; drain off fat. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, stirring to blend well. Cover and cook on low for 6 1/2-8 hours, or on high for 3-3 1/2 hours, or until rice is done. Do not use quick rice.
Serves 8

* I had about 1 1/2 kg of mince, so I used it all
** I had no onion, so I used onion salt. I plan on using onion next time though
*** I cut down the chili powder to about 2 tsp. and this worked really well with the extra meat because it wasn't overly spicy.
**** I put in another 1/2 cup of rice because of the extra meat

With the extra meat and rice, this made heaps! It tasted great, and although you could taste the chili, I could eat it comfortably (I have a very low tolerance for spicy foods).


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool, i might try that! how did you get a cookbook for review?! so not fair. what was it??

Anonymous said...

and after all i've done for you in that department, you couldn't even return the favour?!?! how did you get on it?! did you get "fools rush in" then?? i want to read it! :)

Rach said...

Wow, after over 30 days, Julia posted!!!!
*thumbs up*
:P hehe
Sounds yummy, Jewelz!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is currently in my crockpot, although only a half quantity as I only had 500g of mince. House church dinner is on tonight so we shall see what the verdict is. :)